At Igloo, we're committed to producing best-in-class coolers. We test our coolers against industry regulations, but also hold ourselves to a higher standard. To ensure quality, we have our products tested internally and externally, checking performance, capacity, strength, and endurance.
Controlled testing in 90º heat
As the number one cooler manufacturer, Igloo provides coolers for people all over the world. Since every individual’s cooler usage varies in temperature, humidity, and frequency of use, we test our coolers in lab conditions with continuous heat and constant humidity. Here is the Igloo method for testing coolers:
- A cooler is filled to 90% capacity with ice chilled to a temperature of 10 °F (-12 °C).
- Computers track the internal temperature continuously. The cooler lid stays closed throughout the test.
- The cooler sits in an oven with a constant* temperature of 90 °F (32 °C) and a humidity level of 85%.
- The test is concluded when the internal temperature reaches 40 °F (4 °C).
- The time time it takes to increase from 10 °F to 40 °F is the ice retention performance claim.
*Some cooler companies cycle test oven temperatures up and down to simulate nighttime temperature drops, extending performance claims.